OUR PATRON SAINT
St. Maron lived on the mountains of Cyrrhus, near Antioch, in the 4th century AD, in the open air. God bestowed on him the gift of healing, which made his fame spread in the entire region. St. Maron died around the year 410 AD. His disciples continued his mission. Abraham the hermit, the apostle of Lebanon, converted the Phoenician inhabitants of the mountains of Lebanon. Jebbet Bsharre and Mnaytra adopted Christianity. The Phoenician pagans became Maronite Christians.
In 451, the fathers of the Church held a meeting at the Council of Chalcedon. They clarified the teaching of the Church concerning the person of Jesus Christ. They proclaimed that Jesus Christ was both human and divine. The Maronites strongly defended the Council of Chalcedon, which made the Monophysites their bitter enemies. Pope Leo requested to build a monastery for the disciples of St. Maron on the Orontes River. The monastery was called Bet Moroon. The conflict between the Maronites and the Monophysites led to a strong persecution that left 350 martyrs and many refugees in 517. The Maronites informed Pope Hormizdes about their struggle for the sake of faith and their martyrs. The pope of Rome sent them a letter to strengthen the Maronites describing the Maronite martyrs as soldiers of Jesus Christ and members of his Living Body.
OUR CHURCH HISTORY
The Congress location was closed when the Urban Redevelopment Agency of Detroit acquired the property for downtown Detroit renewal. A street was named after St. Maron.
St. Maron Liturgies and social functions celebrated at Our Lady of Help Church in Detroit, MI
Construction began on St. Maron Maronite Church, Hall & Rectory on Kercheval and St. Jean.
St. Maron Maronite Church was elevated to the first Maronite Cathedral in the United States with the establishment of the first Maronite Exarchate and appointment of His Excellency, Bishop Francis Zayek, the first Maronite Bishop to shepherd the Maronite flock in the USA.
The Maronite Eparchy of St. Maron was transferred to Brooklyn, NY.
With the papal bull Omnium Catholicorum promulgated by Pope John Paul II of February 19, 1994, a second Eparchy for Maronites in the United States was established: Eparchy of Our Lady of Lebanon of Los Angeles, came from the Maronite Catholic Eparchy of St. Maron of Brooklyn. John George Chedid, formerly Titular Bishop of Callinicum for the Maronites and Auxiliary of the Eparchy of St Maron, was appointed the first Eparchial Bishop with the Cathedral under the patronage of Our Lady of Mt. Lebanon.
Prior to 1916:
Sts. Peter and Paul Jesuit Church and School in Detroit served the Maronite community. Many baptisms and weddings were celebrated there in what used to be St. Catherine’s Chapel.
Construction was started on St. Maron Maronite Church on 1555 East Congress St. & Orleans, Detroit, MI
Inaugural Divine Liturgy on April 30, was celebrated by Chorbishop Joseph Shebaia (Founder)
Rectory, Convent & School: built during tenure of Rev. Elias P. Asmar
School: Served by Sisters of St. Joseph, Nazareth, MI
Original engraved cornerstone from the St. Maron Church on East Congress
Engraved cornerstone from current St. Maron Church on Kercheval